Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

An Incredible Year


One year ago, March 2nd to be exact, I took the plunge and joined the Fresh Meat class offered by what was then CMRD. Wow has my life changed dramatically since then. In the past year I went from learning basic skills and struggling to pass my assessments, being teamed and my first bout, to being on the BSBRD board and being named to the Punishers, and making some of the most amazing friends a girl could have in her life. 

Let’s back up a little bit to the start of my “derby career”, I had known I wanted to derby since I was quite young – for me it was way before seeing “Whip It” or watching “Rollergirls” on A&E. I remember watching banked track derby on TV in the late 80’s when it would come on after American Gladiators. I would watch and think, that is a sport I could LOVE! I was never most athletic person–yes, I played sports in jr. high, threw shot put in high school, but no one was ever going to call me an athlete. Always in the back of my head was this crazy sport where being a “big girl” could actually be an advantage. 

The start of my derby career – at a BDD Clinic  

When I moved to Boston in 2006 I did some research and found the Boston Derby Dames. After a number of years of health issues, I finally felt ready to give this crazy sport a try in the fall of 2010. I went to a few BDD clinics, bought my gear at Bruised - fell a couple times just trying on my skates - and went to the BDD tryouts in October. I knew there was about zero chance I was going to make their league that year, but I wanted to at least give it a try. Once I didn’t make it and assumed that I would try again next year until my fabulous friend Arrow introduced me to BA and the new fresh meat program she was going to run. I decided to take the plunge and join the league.

 My fresh meat class

While some of my fresh meat mates sailed through the beginning of our class easily, I struggled a fair amount. I wanted it badly and worked my ass off (quite literally) at practice and open skates. It took me 2 times to pass my level 1 assessment which made me want it more. I knew that roller derby was something that I loved and was determined that I would be successful at it. I knew I would never be the best on the track, but I was going to be the best I could be for my team. After I passed my level 1 assessment I was able to move on to the “hitting” phase of our training my love for derby was reaffirmed. I’m not sure what it says about me, but I really love hitting and being hit by my friends on the track! I picked up some AWESOME bruises along the way and gave a few too. Again, a number of classmates assessed for their level 2s and passed while I still had work to do to be safe on the track. Luckily, I had Kenya going along at the same pace I was. While I cheered them I kept skating and working on my skills until I passed in late June. I was super pumped to be able to scrimmage, but even more so to officially make shirts with my name and number.


My name honors my late mother-in-law who would have loved this sport and my number is is my telephone prefix growing up in MN.

It was then time to start scrimmaging and have the opportunity to be drafted on to a home team before the 2011 season was over. I had no idea how quickly that would happen! I started scrimmaging and generally felt like a waste of space on the track. I often could see what was happening or going to happen, but couldn’t get myself to the spot I needed to be. It was very frustrating, but I could feel myself getting a little more helpful to my teammates with each scrimmage that went by. In mid-July I was informed I was drafted – I was officially a Bluestocking Bomber…and I would be playing in my first bout in a week! That meant a quick call to Derby Skinz to get my shiny gold skirt and thankfully not too much time to freak out.

 Pumped to be a Bomber!

I was able to bout with the Bombers twice in 2011 which apparently makes me a vet now. It is pretty crazy to think that other skaters in our league look at me like I looked at all those other skaters a year ago. Somehow, through this crazy journey of the last year, I’ve learned how to hold my own on the track, but still have a ton to learn about the game. Derby has given me one of the best years of my life – and I know this year is going to be even more incredible.

 
Look forward to seeing you on the track.

Sandra Mean

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry, Meanie! I am so proud of you. See you in June :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have changing being on the slow track with you anytime. Love you Meanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh....you girls are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete